If I had received an informed picture of what these medications could do I would never have taken them.
Benzodiazepine dependence has nothing to do with “cravings” or emotionally wanting to take them. Most people who have been dependent did not know that they were dependent, even in cases where suffering went on for forty years or more. Benzodiazepines can cause severe disability even whilst taking them (tolerance withdrawal), during withdrawal and post withdrawal. Disability can occur even at a prescribed low dose.
True “Informed consent” would have entailed the following being explained to me prior to taking these “medications”.
– Benzodiazepines would ultimately take away my mobility, land me needing a zimmer and wheelchair
– Benzodiazepines would cause depression not alleviate anxiety.
-Benzodiazepines would change my personality.
– Benzodiazepines would cause agonising symptoms that no doctor was competent enough to recognise even over a thirteen year timespan.
– Benzodiazepines would lead to the destruction of every important relationship.
– Benzodiazepines would cause me to suffer massive financial loss due to home changes and adaptations.
– Benzodiazepines would render me childlike.
– Benzodiazepines would leave me brain damaged.
– Benzodiazepines would steal my independence.
– Benzodiazepines would cause a myriad of physical symptoms that doctors don’t look for.
– Benzodiazepines would steal my chance to have children.
– Benzodiazepines would steal my chance to have a career.
– that doctors know literally zero about this condition and what they do assume to know is often actively dangerous as well as pejorative.
– Benzodiazepines would leave me bed-bound and in quite literal agony even two months after cessation.
– Benzodiazepines would put me at massive risk of misdiagnosis.
– That once the misdiagnosis and false conclusions have been reached doctors are too proud and often too prejudiced to amend their opinions. That they will not even read the pertinent literature.
– Benzodiazepines would destroy every hope and dream I ever had.
– Benzodiazpines would cause seething pain with which I’d get no assistance let alone compassion
-That I’d face a lifetime of trying to get justice.
– That I’d meet friends in a similar position to me but some of them don’t make it and have died.
All this for a pill that was supposed to “help” me in my career.
This scandal exposes an absolute cess pit of political/medical incompetence and cowardice.
We are all hoping Andy Burnham will uphold his political promises on the 17th November.
At any point in this thirteen years of misprespcribing the GPs could have been aware of the potential of this drug to do this. They then could have referred me to Professor Ashton’s clinic. Her clinic has since shut down.
Three other members of my family were on benzos. This led to the doctors linking symptoms as family traits. We have all led absolutely horrific lives.
The doctors made a mistake. To make a mistake is human. What is not acceptable is doing nothing to rectify that mistake, if not for me, for future potential victims.